Location: Botton Village, North Yorkshire
We are seeking guest volunteers to become part of a wonderful, exciting community. Volunteering will provide you with the opportunity to ‘do something different with your life’ and ‘make a difference’, some practical experience and the chance to make new friends from different countries and cultures, explore interesting new places, develop your language and social skills. You will live in the village, which will give you the opportunity to volunteer and celebrate our festivals throughout the year alongside all the members of the community.
You will have the opportunity to work across our different workshops. Where you can gain the experience of living with residents or a house hold with other guest volunteers.
You will learn new skills and develop existing skills. You will learn all about the charity’s ethos and values and above all you will contribute to enhancing the lives of everyone within our communities.
You will contribute to a varied mix of workshops across in the community. You will receive training in each workshop and beyond.
Been part of a team, with people we support, in carrying out day to day duties and activities. You will provide added value support in the workshops to help people to develop their skills.
We have a number of different workshops that you may be able to gain experience in, which are Food Centre, Creamery, Store, Coffee Bar, Bakery, Butchery, Wood Work Shop, Weavery & Crafts, Camphill Press, and Post Office.
Farms, where we provide homes to diary cows, beef cows, pigs, sheep and chickens. We also have a number of organic gardens, where we produce vegetables, flowers and seeds.
You will be trained in health and safety regulations and in any equipment you use.
What we need from you
To be able to carry out these roles you do not need any previous experience, as training and development for you will be given. ?However, there are some things we need from you;
- you will be 18 years and over
- be able to understand spoken and written English and your English needs to be easily understood, verbally and written
- be enthusiastic, motivated, diplomatic, honest, reliable, trustworthy and have a pleasant nature
- you will be patience and will value other people treat people with different abilities, beliefs and religion to your own respectfully
- be self-motivated, work on your own initiative and be able to work as part of a team.
- you will be inspirational and keen to learn new skills.
- you will be keen to be involved in cultural and social activities within the community.
Some other skills and experience that would be useful for volunteering:
- previous experience of living or working with people with learning disabilities
- previous experience of caring for people or supporting people to develop their skills and abilities, this may have been for family or friends
previous experience of sharing a household with others, family or friends
- previous experience of working as part of a team
- an interest in creative arts, like crafts, drama, music and singing
- an interest in farming, gardening and food production, for example making jams and chutneys
- physical and mental health and fitness as some work can be mentally and physically challenging